Welcome to the Urban Design Advisory Committee
Serving Old Town North
The five member Urban Design Advisory Committee (UDAC) was established by City Council in July 1994 to review development plans for compliance with the Urban Design Guidelines of Old Town North. Applications are brought to UDAC on an as-needed basis and are discussed during public meetings. The Committee provides comments to applicants and staff to guide proposals; and, ultimately, makes a recommendation to the Planning Commission and City Council. Membership consists of two residents representing the Old Town North residential community, two representatives of the Old Town North business community and one qualified professional skilled in urban design, architecture or landscape architecture.
City Staff Contacts: Department of Planning and Zoning, 703.746.4666
- Upcoming Advisory Committee meetings:
- Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 9:00am, City Hall, 301 King Street, Room 3008
- An expansion is proposed for the Best Western Old Colony Inn at
1101 N. Washington St. For information, contact Dirk Geratz (firstname.lastname@example.org or
- A new hotel is proposed at the site of the current Towne Motel,
800 N. Washington St. For information, contact Dirk Geratz (email@example.com or
- A mixed-use development is proposed for the block located at 530
First St (current site of Virginia ABC Store and former Giant Grocery). For information,
contact Maya Contreras (firstname.lastname@example.org
- A mixed-use project, including a hotel, commercial uses and 83
residential units is proposed at the former Robinson Terminal North site, and
will be heard at the October 6th, 2015 Planning
Commission meeting and the October 16thCity Council
meeting. For information, contact Dirk Geratz (email@example.com or
- A 9-unit residential development project at 513 and 515 N.
Washington Street was approved by City Council in February,
- A residential townhouse project at the Old Health Department
building at 509 N St Asaph St and the parking lot at 511 Oronoco St
was approved by City Council in February 2014,
and is currently under construction.
- Get information about the Old Town
North Small Area Plan update .
- Get information about the GenOn Potomac River Generating
- Get an update about the Royal Street Bus Garage.
Past Meeting Materials
Advisory Group meetings are held on a quarterly basis and are open to the public.
Wednesday, October 21, 2015
Wednesday, September 9, 2015
Thursday, April 23,
Wednesday, January 7,
For the UDAC Meeting Archive click here.
Advisory Group Members
- Bruce Machanic, Co-Chair - Old Town North Business Community Representative
- Daniel Straub, Co-Chair - Urban Design, Architecture or Landscape Architecture Representative
Stephen W. Kulinski, A.I.A - Old Town Business Community Representative
- Marie Tavernini - Old Town North Residential Community Representative
- Roger Waud - Old Town North Residential Community Representative
For further information about the responsibilities of this board or commission, or to apply to serve on this board or commission, contact Jackie Henderson in the City Clerk's Office at 703 746-4550.