Welcome to the Urban Design Advisory Committee
Serving Old Town North
The Urban Design Advisory Committee (UDAC) is a five member board appointed by City Council who serve two-year terms. UDAC was established by ordinance to review development plans for compliance with the Urban Design Guidelines of Old Town North. Applications are brought to the appointed citizen group as needed and are discussed at public meetings. The Committee will provide comments to applicants and staff to guide proposals and ultimately make written recommendations to the Planning Commission and City Council. Membership consists of two residents representing the Old Town North residential community, two representatives of the Old Town North business community and one qualified professional skilled in urban design, architecture or landscape architecture.
City Staff Contacts: Department of Planning and Zoning 703.746.4666
Dirk H. Geratz, Principal Planner
Maya Contreras, Urban Planner
Jessica McVary, Urban Planner
- City staff is reviewing plans for a residential project at the Old Health Department building at 509 N St Asaph St and the parking lot at 511 Oronoco St. This project is anticipated to go to public hearing in February 2014.
- The mixed use commercial and residential development project at 700 N. Washington Street (Travelodge) was approved by City Council in October 2013.
- The Kingsley (Harris Teeter) mixed use development at 500 Madison Street is currently under construction.
- Get information about the GenOn Potomac River Generating Station.
- Get an update about the Royal Street Bus Garage.
Meetings are held on a quarterly basis, and are open to the public. The next meeting is scheduled for January 8, 2014. See the agenda for meeting location and details.
January 8, 2014
September 5, 2013
September 5, 2013
May 8, 2013
February 13, 2013
Bruce Machanic, Co-Chair -Old Town North Business Community Representative
Daniel Straub, Co-Chair - Urban Design, Architecture or Landscape Architecture Representative
Elisabeth Lardner -Old Town Business Community Representative
Marie Tavernini - Old Town North Residential Community Representative
Roger Waud - Old Town North Residential Community Representative
For further information about the responsibilities of this board or commission, or to apply to serve on this board or commission, contact Jackie Henderson or Lora Love in the City Clerk's Office at 703 746-4550.