Our staff supports the City's two Boards of Architectural Review, the
Old and Historic Alexandria District and the
Parker-Gray District. We evaluate and provide recommendations for resources to be included in our collection of local and nationally designated historic districts. We analyze regulatory applications and evaluate proposed development plans to assess their impacts on historic resources. In addition, we provide public outreach with lectures, walking tours, and seminars to educate the public. Please contact our professional staff at 703.746.3833, Monday-Friday 8-5 p.m. and we will be happy to assist you.
Is your property regulated by Alexandria's Board of Architectural Review?
- Ask Us!
- There are two historic districts and thirty-five, 100 Year Old Buildings locally designated and regulated in Alexandria. Two, separate Boards of Architectural Review (BAR) oversee the protection of the Old and Historic Alexandria District, the 100 Year Old Buildings and the Parker-Gray District. The Boards must approve a Certificate of Appropriateness for all new construction and exterior alterations for structures designated which are visible from a public way. In addition, the Boards must approve a Permit to Demolish for proposed demolition of more than 25 square feet of material on a structure, regardless of the visibility from a public way.
Applications & Instructions
Dockets, Webcasts, and Staff Reports
Note: Due to a transition in the City's document management system in 2011, some overlap exists in the links above.
Historic Resource Survey of Old and Historic Alexandria District
The Department of Planning and Zoning's Historic Preservation Division has been working on surveying the Old and Historic District with the National Park Service and several state historic preservation offices.
Please click here for more information.
The historic preservation division regularly trains and works with volunteers who are interested in contributing to the preservation of Alexandria's historic resources. If you are interested in a volunteer position please contact us.
Our office is open 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. We are within walking distance of the King Street Metro stop on the Blue and Yellow Lines and located near the bus and free trolley stop. Parking is available at meters on the street or in public parking garages nearby.
Department of Planning and Zoning
301 King Street, Suite 2100
Alexandria, Virginia 22313
Historic Preservation Staff
- Al Cox, Historic Preservation Manager, Architect
- Catherine Miliaras, Urban Planner
- Michele Oaks, Urban Planner
- Stephanie Sample, Urban Planner
- Amirah Lane, Senior Planning Technician