Winter Storm Warning Update for the City of Alexandria
For Immediate Release: February 5, 2010
The City of Alexandria continues to be under a Winter Storm Warning, with accumulations of 20-30 inches possible. Low visibility and heavy winds are expected. Conditions are deteriorating; roads are currently very slippery and icy. The City of Alexandria encourages residents to use caution and stay off the roadways when possible. Be prepared for extremely limited mobility for several days.
Due to the winter weather, the City of Alexandria announces the following emergency information:
- The City of Alexandria government is operating under emergency conditions, and residents should expect reduced services.
- All recreation centers, libraries, and non-essential City facilities will be closed today through Sunday, February 7.
- All weekend activities for Alexandria City Public Schools are cancelled.
- There will be no DASH bus service on Saturday, February 6. DASH will make an announcement on Saturday evening after 7 p.m. on the status of Sunday service.
- All hypothermia and overflow shelters are operating around the clock. Alexandria shelters include the following:
Alexandria Community Shelter
2355-B Mill Rd.
930 N. Henry St.
For a comprehensive list of shelters in Alexandria and in the region, visit: http://www.novaregion.org/index.aspx?NID=174
Residents who plan to use a taxi for transportation should be aware that a taxi surcharge of $5 is in effect until further notice.
Residents are encouraged to visit www.alexandriava.gov/Storm to watch an important video message from Mayor William D. Euille and read Frequently Asked Questions about the February 5-6 Storm. If you still have additional questions, contact the City Snow Hotline at 703.746.4488. To receive the latest weather-related information and snow removal information, follow the City on Twitter or Facebook, or subscribe to eNews.
For more information, contact Tony Castrilli, Director of Communications, Office of Communications, at 703.746.3958 or email@example.com.