November 2, 2009
Alexandria’s Second Half Real Estate Tax Due Monday, November 16
- Second half of 2009 Real Estate Tax and Refuse Fee payments are due Monday, November 16.
- Late payment penalty and interest will be assessed on all accounts not paid by the due date.
- Avoid waiting in line by using one of the alternate payment methods described below.
The City of Alexandria reminds property owners that the second half of 2009 Real Estate Tax and Refuse Fee payments are due Monday, November 16. To avoid late payment penalty and interest, payment must be received by the City or postmarked by the U.S. Postal Service no later than November 16.
If you have not received a bill in the mail and do not have your real estate tax paid by your mortgage company, e-mail email@example.com, or call 703.746.3902 to request a duplicate bill. Failure to receive a tax bill is not grounds for waiving the late payment penalty and interest, or extending the November 16 due date.
Late payment penalty and interest will be assessed on all real estate taxes and refuse fees that are not paid or postmarked by the due date. The late payment penalty is ten percent of the tax and refuse fee or $10, whichever is greater. Interest accrues at an annual rate of 10 percent for the first year and 5 percent for each year thereafter, beginning November 17, 2009, and continuing until all tax, refuse fee and penalty are paid. The Code of Virginia does not allow for waiver of tax, penalty or interest due to inability to pay. While the due date for eligibility for tax relief programs has passed, if you are experiencing financial difficulties, you may qualify for other City relief programs. Visit alexandriava.gov and select Housing or Human Services in the departmental menu for more information.
Property owners may pay in person at the Treasury Division, City Hall, 301 King St., Room 1510, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Due to budget constraints, there are no extended Saturday hours. Tax bills may be paid in person by cash, check, or Discover Card. Discover will assess a fee for using this service.
Avoid waiting in line by using one of many convenient methods for paying your real estate tax:
- Pay by eCheck online to have the payment electronically deducted from a specified checking or savings account. To pay by eCheck, visit alexandriava.gov/payments. You may also pay by eCheck online at City Hall, Room 1700, during normal office hours. No fee is charged for using this service, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Pay through the City’s “Real Estate Tax History Search and Pay” online service by visiting www.alexandriava.gov/finance. Click on Real Estate Tax Information in the Quick Links sidebar, then click on Real Estate Tax History and Payments to access this service. This program allows you to verify current and prior year real estate taxes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In addition, the program allows property owners to pay real estate taxes by eCheck or credit card.
- Pay by Automatic Bank Debit. Real estate tax payments can be automatically deducted from a specified checking or savings account in monthly installments, or in two equal installments on each of the semi-annual tax due dates. There is no fee for using this service. However, you must register at least 14 days before the desired debits are to take effect. For more information, visit www.alexandriava.gov/payments or contact the Treasury Division.
- Pay by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by calling 1.800.272.9829, or online at alexandriava.gov/payments. You may also pay by credit card at the kiosk in City Hall, Room 1700, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Official Payments Corporation will assess a fee for using this service. The City’s jurisdiction code is 1007.
- Pay by mail using the envelope enclosed with your bill, or mail payment to the Treasurer’s Office, P.O. Box 34750, Alexandria, VA 22334-0750. Please make check or money order payable to the City of Alexandria. Be sure to include the bill you are paying and write your account number in the memo field on your check or money order. Returned checks are subject to a $35 fee in accordance with state law. Please do not mail payments to any other address.
- Pay at any SunTrust Bank branch located in the City by 5 p.m. on November 16. SunTrust will only accept payment of the total amount printed on the real estate tax bill. No fee is charged for this service.
- A drop box located on the Royal Street side of City Hall is also available 24 hours a day. To be considered on time, payments must be in the drop box by midnight on the due date. Please be sure to include the bill you are paying and write your account number in the memo field on your check. Returned checks are subject to a $35 fee, in accordance with state law. For your protection, please do not submit cash.
Property owners with a new mailing address or who have questions concerning assessments or appeals should contact the Department of Real Estate Assessments at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 703.746.4646 to ensure that all future bills and correspondence are mailed to the correct address.
For more information on real estate tax, visit www.alexandriava.gov/realestatetax. For information on payments, late payment penalty and interest, visit www.alexandriava.gov/treasury.
Si necesita ayuda en Español, por favor llame al 703.746.3907.