Nutrition & Health
Congregate meals, home delivered meals and resources for health information.
Senior Center Congregate Meals
Meals are served at two locations in the city.
- St. Martins Senior Center
4650 Taney Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22304
- Charles Houston Senior Center
901 Wythe Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
Both centers offer a hot lunch Monday through Friday except for holidays. Additionally both centers are currently serving breakfast. There is no cost for meals for persons age 60 or older, but contributions are accepted. For more information contact the centers directly.
Alexandria Adult Day Services Center provides breakfast, lunch and a snack for program participants.
Home Delivered Meals
This service is available to persons age 60 and over who can no longer prepare meals for themselves, have no other means of receiving meals and are homebound except for going to medical appointments. Two types of meals are available:
Meals on Wheels delivers one hot and one cold meal Monday through Friday except for Holidays. There is financial assistance available for individuals age 60 or older unable to pay for meals. Please call the Office of Aging and Adult Services at 703-746-5999 for more information. For individuals under age 60 interested in receiving Meals on Wheels, please call Senior Services of Alexandria at 703-836-4414 ext. 12.
Liquid Nutrition program provides a liquid nutritional meal for individuals for whom a physician has recommended this supplement. There is financial assistance available for individuals age 60 or older unable to pay for this program. Please call the Office of Aging and Adult Services at 703-746-5999 for more information.
More information is available directly from the City’s Health Department
Flora Krause Casey Clinic - 1200 N. Howard Street - 703-519-5979
The Casey Health Center is located adjacent to Inova Alexandria Hospital and offers a limited range of specialty and general medical services for those determined to be medically and administratively eligible. Services provided by the Health Center may require certain eligibility information, including but not limited to family size, income, and Alexandria residency. Most services are by appointment only. Hours of operation are Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- NIH Senior Health - This easy-to-use website features health and wellness information for older adults from the National Institutes of Health.
- Alzheimer’s Disease - The Alzheimer’s Association, www.alz.org provides a wide range of information and resources for caregivers and professionals.
- AlzPossible - Virginia Alzheimer’s Commission’s AlzPossible Initiative, www.alzpossible.org, strives to promote the development of a broad range of well-integrated programs, services and research designed to reduce the burden of the disease for the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia.