Main content
City of Alexandria Homepage
City of Alexandria, VA City of Alexandria, VA
Share Share RSS RSS Print Print Text Size Text Size NormalText Size LargeText Size Extra Large
Page updated Dec 17, 2015 3:26 PM

No Comments Posted Yet

Program Implementation Division

Sets forth applicable policies, procedures, standards, and requirements for the implementation of affordable housing projects.

For Homebuyers 

2015 HUD Income Limits

Home Affordability Calculator *This link will redirect you away from the City of Alexandria website.    

Affordable Set-aside Homeownership Units:  This program provides a limited number of discounted, resale restricted units in some newly constructed homeownership developments. The units are discounted by the developer to levels affordable to low and moderate income first-time homebuyers. Units designated as affordable set-asides have long-term affordability requirements which are enforced by restrictive covenants. To receive email alerts when Affordable Set-aside Units or re-sale units are being marketed, subscribe to the City eNews Affordable Housing Opportunities subscription by clicking here.

Hot water heater(1)For Homeowners

Home Rehabilitation Loan Program (HRLP):  To improve the quality of homes owned by low-and moderate-income City residents, and help residents remain in their homes, the Implementation Division offers no-interest, deferred payment loans to assist with design and construction of various improvements.  Program eligibility is restricted to owner-occupants meeting the federal Section 8 Low Income limits. This program enables low- and moderate-income homeowners to correct code violations, structural problems, and to enhance the value and livability of their attached or detached single-family homes. Eligible households may receive up to $90,000 for construction costs, plus additional funds if needed for other related costs. Loans are no-interest and repayment is deferred for 99 years or until the property is sold, whichever comes first.  

Energy Efficiency Loan Fund (EELF):  This program provides access to affordable financing for residential energy efficiency improvements. Applicants must meet income limits and other guidelines established by the City and participating lender. In exchange for limited City financial support for development of the Alexandria Energy Saver Program, CommonWealth One Federal Credit Union provides exclusive low-interest loans at rates as low as 4.9% to qualified City homeowners to help them finance a range of energy efficiency improvements, including new roofs, appliances, HVAC systems, etc. Higher income households may qualify for CommonWealth One's Home Performance Loan program. Contact: CommonWealth One Lending Department at 703.523.8211 ext. 7611 or email .

City Supports Home Performance with Energy Star Powered by LEAP:  The U.S. Department of Energy's Home Performance Program with Energy Star is now being administered in Northern Virginia by LEAP, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit which coordinates home energy upgrades, such as air sealing and insulation, in area homes. LEAP can offer energy assessments to Alexandria homeowners to identify key issues and solutions, connect homeowners with available rebates and special financing options, and help residents select a qualified contractor to complete needed energy efficiency improvements. Get started today by completing a FREE online home energy report     

City's Green Building Resource Center:  Explore more of the exciting green initiatives being offered.    

Weatherize Now to Save Money Later:  Weatherizing one’s home can be a simple and inexpensive means of reducing monthly energy bills. A variety of weatherization assistance programs are available to help low and moderate-income City residents weatherize for the months ahead:    

  • Rebuilding Together Alexandria (RTA) is a local non-profit providing free home repairs and safety modifications to homeowners in need (primarily elderly and disabled residents). For more information, visit RTA. 
  • Community Housing Partners Corporation (CHPC) can perform diagnostic tests to evaluate areas of heat loss, repair or install attic and wall insulation, weatherstrip doors and complete other measures to prevent heat loss. For more information, visit CHPC or contact Connie England at 540.636.8079. 
  • Department of Community and Human Services (DCHS) can provide needed financial assistance with the cost of heating or cooling your home. For more information on benefits and eligibility, visit the DCHS.  

Existing City Loans:   Refinancing? See our Post-Purchase Loan Policies and Subordination Guidelines.  Paying off your loan?  

Foreclosure Prevention Resources: On August 14, 2012, the City and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) hosted a Housing Roundtable on Helping Responsible Homeowners which featured lenders, housing counselors and other stakeholders discussing the refinancing process, recent changes to the Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP2), and other opportunities to help homeowners reduce their monthly housing costs by taking advantage of historically low mortgage rates. To watch the video of the Roundtable, click here. To download a copy of HUD's new 2012 Mortgage Assistance Guide, click here .

For Renters 

universal-design-3.jpg(2)Rental Accessibility Modification Program (RAMP):  To assist low- and moderate income tenants with physical disabilities in completing accessibility modifications to their residences, the City provides grants and technical assistance. RAMP targets physically disabled renters meeting the federal section 8 Low Income limits. The City provides grants of up to $50,000 for primary residence modifications necessary to accommodate the particular circumstances of the disabled member of the household. The program also provides "mini-grants" to assist households needing limited modifications of up to $1,500. Landlords are encouraged to designate modifications to be permanent improvements to the rehabilitated rental property. The application forms are below: 

City residents may also be eligible for a VHDA Rental Unit Accessibility Modification (RUAM) Grant Program. The Office of Housing is a designated Community Agent for VHDA and can assist City renters in completing and submitting the required application.