Historic Alexandria Resources Commission
The Historic Alexandria Resources Commission (HARC) advises the City in the preservation of historic sites and buildings, artifacts, and records from loss or deterioration; and promotes citizen and tourist use of historic sites and the Torpedo Factory Art Center.
Meetings are open to the public, and are held at Lloyd House, 220 North Washington Street, on the third Tuesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. HARC does not meet in July or August.
Commission members are appointed by City Council and must be citizens of Alexandria. Approximately two hours per month are required of Commission members. Citizens interested in filling vacancies on HARC should contact the Office of Historic Alexandria at 703.746.4554 for more information, or Citizens Assistance for an application. For further information about the responsibilities of this board or commission, or to apply to serve on this board or commission, contact Jackie Henderson in the City Clerk's Office at 703 746-4550.
Roster of HARC Commission members
The Commission members are comprised of:
- 1 Representative from each of the following:
- Alexandria Archaeological Commission
- Alexandria Historical Restoration & Preservation Commission
- Alexandria Public Records Advisory Commission
- Alexandria Convention & Visitors Association Board of Governors
- Alexandria Association
- Alexandria Historical Society
- Alexandria Society for the Preservation of Black Heritage
- Carlyle House
- Christ Church
- George Washington Masonic Memorial
- Historic Alexandria Foundation
- Lee-Fendall House
- Mortar & Pestle Society
- Old Presbyterian Meeting House
- Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association
- Torpedo Factory Artists Association
- 2 Business representatives, 1 of which shall be designated by the Alexandria Chamber of Commerce
- 7 Members-at-large, at least 2 of whom shall be members of Alexandria civic associations and at least 2 representatives shall be appointed from each of the three planning districts.
- 1 Member who serves as a volunteer at a historic property or attraction which is open to the public on a regularly scheduled basis
Term of Service:
City Staff Contact:
Lance Mallamo, Office of Historic Alexandria, 703.746.4702