Volunteering at Gadsby’s Tavern Museum
If you are interested in history and enjoy meeting new people, you'll love volunteering at Gadsby's Tavern Museum! We ask for a minimum monthly commitment of 3-6 hours (the equivalent of approximately one tour shift per month) and offer a very flexible schedule. Most of our volunteers work the “front lines,” giving tours to the thousands of walk-in visitors, school groups, and/or special event guests that come to Gadsby’s every year. Volunteers are needed weekdays and weekends both during the day and in the evening, so there is probably something happening that will fit your schedule.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
- School/Children’s Programs (weekday mornings)
- Docent/Tour Guide (any time of week)
- Special Events (occasional weekends)
- Administrative and Clerical Work (weekdays between 9am and 5pm)
- Undergraduate and graduate level internships (weekdays between 9am and 5pm)
The training process is designed to be simple and flexible. After completing this 5-step process, volunteers have completed their initial training and can begin giving tours to the general public.
- Submit a volunteer application. The Volunteer Coordinator will contact you after reviewing your application.
- Meet with the Volunteer Coordinator to discuss open opportunities at Gadsby’s and receive an informational binder. (Special event and office volunteers may begin volunteering after this step).
- Observe 5 regular guided tours.
- Develop your own tour.
- Schedule a tour review with the Volunteer Coordinator.
All volunteers are encouraged to continue learning about the building, the 18th century, and Alexandria long after the initial training is completed. Gadsby’s Tavern Museum offers an annual volunteer class in the early summer for all new volunteers as well as field trips throughout the year to local sites and lectures. Volunteers also have access to the museum’s extensive library.
Junior Docent Program
Gadsby’s Tavern Museum is proud to work with the next generation of historians! Students in high school and college are welcome to apply for any of our regular volunteer opportunities. The application and training is identical to what we provide for adult volunteers. The Volunteer Coordinator is happy to work with students to meet internship or community service requirements.
Gadsby’s Tavern Museum also works with 4th-8th graders through its Junior Docent program. Elementary-aged docents assist with stationed tours and special events. Participants are selected through a competitive application process. If you are interested in receiving more information about this program, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator.
For More Information
If you have any questions or would like to learn more about other volunteer opportunities at Gadsby's Tavern Museum, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator or call 703.746.4242.