The Friendship Fire Company was established in 1774, as the first volunteer fire company in Alexandria. The current firehouse was built in 1855, was substantially remodeled in 1871, and was restored by the City of Alexandria in 1992.
In a town of mostly wooden buildings, where open flames provided heat, light and cooking on a daily basis, fire was a constant danger. The Friendship, Sun, Relief, Hydraulion and other local volunteer fire companies served the community faithfully, particularly during enormous blazes in 1827, 1855, 1871, and 1922. Some of their stories and equipment are preserved today in the Friendship Firehouse Museum.
American Alliance of MuseumsAccredited Museum
Arrange a birthday party at the Firehouse?
Join the Friendship Veterans Fire Engine Association?
Schedule a group tour or program?
Attend the Friendship Firehouse Festival?
Attend the Father's Day Open House?
Friendship Firehouse Museum107 S. Alfred StreetAlexandria, Virginia 22314703.746.3891Email
Museum HoursSaturday and Sunday1 p.m. to 4 p.m.Closed: New Year's Day, Christmas Eve & Christmas DayAdmission - $2.00