622-626 King Street
Washington Hall. a brick meeting hall built in 1854, was destroyed by fire in the early to mid 1900s.
In the Civil War, Washington Hall General Hospital was a branch of the Second Division General Hospital.
Source: Joint Select Committee to Investigate Charities and Reformatory Institutions in the District of Columbia.
First Person Accounts
A description of Washington Hall from the Alexandria Gazette
, January 5, 1955, p. 3.
This fine new hall on King Street near the corner of Washington has been leased by a company of gentlemen and beautifully fitted up for theatrical purposes, concerts, etc. It is to be opened tonight with a concert by the Swiss Bell Ringers. The hall is a large one, capable of seating, in comfort, over six hundred persons, and the seats are arranged so as to give all an opportunity of seeing without difficulty.
No historic image available.
Caption: Quartermaster Map 12 shows the hospital with offices and a
622-624 King Street
Map: CWHospitalsMap.pdf with close-up box showing location of this
The Site Today
A 20th century
building on the site houses retail and offices, including Banana Republic and
the Gap Outlet.