Image 1: Although a 1911 volume labeled this as the Friend's Meeting-House, the image depicts the Tuscan Villa (left) and the Wolfe Street General Hospital. |
Image 2: Tuscan Villa, by Matthew Brady. (Image cropped). National Archives and Records Administration.
Image 3: Tuscan Villa and neighboring hospitals, located on a section of
Birdseye View of Alexandria, Va.
The site of Tuscan Villa Hospital today, at 500-502 Wolfe St. |
History of Tuscan Villa Hospital
500-502 Wolfe Street
This large private residence was confiscated for use as a branch of the Wolfe Street Hospital, which was the 1st Division General Hospital.
The Tuscan Villa had been built in the Italianate style that became popular in the U.S. in the earlier part of the 1800s. Although the 1911 Photographic History of the Civil War labels this building as the Friends’ Meeting House, the photograph appears to show the Tuscan Villa, with the
Wolfe Street General Hospital (still standing) to its right. The
Friends Meeting House Hospital, a block away at 600 Wolfe St. was also associated with Wolfe Street Hospital.
- Title: Friends’ Meeting-House, Capacity 100 (note, image is misidentified)
- Image Source: The Photographic History of the Civil War in Ten Volumes. Francis Trevelyan Miller, Editor in Chief, Volume Seven, Prisons and Hospitals. New York, The Review of Reviews Co., 1911, p. 234.
- Image Date: 1861-1865.
- Medium: Photograph
- Rights Advisory: Out of Copyright
- Image Source: U.S. National Archives
- Photographer: Matthew Brady
- Image Date: ca. 1860-1865
- Medium: photograph
- U.S. National Archives Identifier: 529326
- Local Identifier: 111-B-5222. Series: Mathew Brady Photographs of Civil War-Era Personalities and Scenes, (Record Group 111)
- National Archives Rights Advisory: Unrestricted.
No Quartermaster map available.
Location and the Site Today
The Tuscan Villa Hospital was located at 500-502 Wolfe Street. Townhouses now occupy the site.