1400 Block of Wilkes Street, north side (Alexandria National Cemetery)
A building footprint was recorded September 1865 by William Merrick on his map of the U.S. Military Railroad Station was, and described as a small hospital south of Hooff’s Run. This was possibly a wooden building to quarantine sick employees of the Quartermaster or Railroad.
The hospital was among a cluster of military buildings, and is located on the north side of the 1400 block of Wilkes Street, just west of the stockade. This location, across Wilkes Street from the current Hamilton Street, is now a part of the Douglas Cemetery. Another hospital also known as Kalorama Hospital operated in Washington,D.C., at 23rd and S Streets, NW.
- Title: Map of the U.S. Military Railroad Station at Alexandria, Va.
- Creator: Wm. M. Merrick
- Image Source: National Archives and Records Administration
- Image Date: 1865
- Medium: Colored Lithograph
- RIghts Advisory: No known restrictions on publication
Image 2: KaloramaBirdseye.jpg
Caption: Kalorama Hospital, located on a section of Magnus' Birdseye View of Alexandria, Va.
No Quartermaster Map available.
Location and the Site Today
The hospital was located on the 1400 Block of Wilkes Street, north side. A section of the Douglas Cemetery now occupies this site, in the Wilkes Street Cemetery complex.
- See the location today on Google Maps.
- Click here to see the location of this hospital in relation to others, on a map prepared by Alexandria Archaeology.