Maintenance Code Division
The Maintenance Code Division assist in maintaining a safe, healthy and livable quality of life by maintaining the City’s housing stock through the administration of the Virginia Maintenance Code and local ordinances. These regulations and ordinances regulate structural soundness, minimum facilities, building maintenance, heating and cooling requirements, life safety, trash and debris, inoperable vehicles, tall grass and weeds, rodents, insect infestation and structural deficiencies. Inspections are conducted by staff throughout the City on a pro-active and complaint basis. Refer to the Nuisance Complaint Matrix for city departments responsible for specific type of complaints.
- Address: 301 King Street, Room 4200; Alexandria, VA 22314 (Alexandria City Hall, 4th floor)
- Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. (except holidays).
- Contact Us: 703.746.4200
- To file a complaint, Call 703.746.4200
- Email the Permit Center or through the Call.Click.Connect. service provided by the City of Alexandria
- 24-Hour Nuisance Abatement Hotline: 703.836.0041 (Report nuisance concerns, such as illegal dumping, hoarding, overcrowding, rodent problems, and fire safety violations.)
- Report Graffiti here.
The Maintenance Code Division Programs
Proactive Inspection Program: Code Administration strives to enhance the quality of life for the citizens of the city of Alexandria through proactive inspections, surveys, and comprehensive investigations of possible code violations. These inspections are performed to ensure that properties meet the minimum standards of the Virginia Maintenance Code and the Code of Ordinances of the City. Inspectors combine enhanced customer service skills, education and outreach to assist citizens with code compliance solutions.
- Hoarding Task Force: An interagency team whose mission is to coordinate all City actions related to severe hoarding cases in the City of Alexandria .The Task Force must balance the rights of the individuals against the safety of the community in developing strategies to deal with hoarding cases and ensure consistency in approaches among all entities involved in each individual case.
- Vacant Building Registration Program: This program tracks structures that have been unoccupied for a period in excess of a year that are not in violation of Code. Data is collected about the property owners and vacant properties must meet minimum exterior structural standards to avoid nuisance issues. Staff conducts inspections throughout the year to ensure that the buildings are maintained in a safe condition.
- Vacant Building Registration Form
- Residential Rental Inspection Program: The Maintenance Code Team conducts annull inspections of rental properties. The inspection identifies possible violations of the Virginia Maintenance Code and the Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code regarding exterior and interior conditions of rental structures. The goal of the program is to ensure that property managers maintain rental units to the minimum standards of Code as defined in the Virginia Maintenance Code and the Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code.
- Residential Rental Inspection Application
- Unfit Property Program: The Maintenance Code Team tracks properties that have been declared unfit for human habitation. These properties are monitored for progress in correcting cited conditions to return the housing stock to the minimum standards established by Code.
- Virginia Maintenance Code enforcement: The Maintenance Code Team enforces the which provides minimum standards that all buildings and structures are to be maintained to.
- Alexandria City Code Nuisance Provisions: The Maintenance Code Team, in conjunction with the Department of Transportation and Environmental Service, Planning and Zoning, Alexandria Police Department,Alexandria Health Department, and Alexandria Fire Department - Fire Prevention and Life Safety Section enforce various provisions of the Code of the City of Alexandria relating to general nuisances.
- These can be reported to the Department of Code Administration at 703.746.4200, or by Email to the Permit Center; or through the Contact Us service provided on the Alexandria main web page.
- Improper waste disposal requirements
- Solid waste collection requirements
- Solid waste containers requirements
- Solid waste collection requirements
- Private solid waste removal requirements
- General Nuisance
- Tall Grass and Weeds
- General Nuisance
- Derelict Buildings
- Spot Blight
- Rental Inspection Program
- Vacant Building Registration
- Inoperable motor vehicles on private property
- Virginia Health Department Lead Programs
- Bed Bug Information
- The Virginia Landlord and Tenant Act is not enforced by Code Administration. However, click here for information about this important Virginia law.
- Landlord and Tenant Act
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Virginia Maintenance Code Appeals
- Appeal Form
- Appeal Instructions
Fall Home Maintenance Tips
that fall is officially here, it's time to prepare your home for cold weather.
These steps, most of which you can do yourself, will help lower your utility
bills and protect your investment.
gutters and downspouts.
roof and chimney for cracks and damage.
leaves and shred to use as mulch or dispose of them based on local guidelines.
or install storm windows.
hoses from spigots and drain and store indoors, coiled and flat.
outdoor furniture and cushions.
- Sealing holes and cracks along the foundation of your
home; mice can enter through holes as small as a dime.
- Making sure that exterior doors have a tight seal and
that there is a door sweep to prevent critters from getting inside. Gaps around
windows should also be caulked.
- Keep trash that is stored outside in sealed containers
and be sure they are stored away from the exterior of your home
smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when you set clocks back in the fall.
windows and doors for weather-tightness and install weather stripping where
furnace professionally inspected.
needed, set traps for rodents.
PREVENT ILLEGAL DUMPING IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD
Over the past several months we’ve received formal complaints and discovered through proactive surveys, discarded mattresses and other bulk furniture items dumped in the alleys of Hume Springs. Together we can prevent illegal dumping. Please use these helpful tips to help us stay ahead of illegal dumping and defeat the problem.
Create a sense of activity on the block so dumpers stay away.
• Keep an eye on vulnerable areas, such as dead-end streets, vacant lots, abandoned buildings and parking lots.
• Contact the City of Alexandria Police Department at 703.746.4444 to report areas vulnerable to illegal dumping.
• If you witness illegal dumping as it happens, please note the description of the vehicle, company name, and tag number if visible and call the Police.
• Talk to your neighbors and share information about how to effectively report illegal dumping (i.e., complete description of the person, vehicle, items dumped and other information).
• To report a location where illegal dumping has occurred, call the 24-hour Nuisance
Nuisance Abatement Hotline at 703.836.0041.