How to Register & Vote in Alexandria
May 19, 2014 is the deadline to register to vote in the June 10, 2014 Democratic Primary Election
You may submit a voter registration application online, by mail or in person. Whichever method you select, after your registration application has been approved, you will receive a voter information card in the mail that gives you your precinct information and polling place address. The deadline for registration is 22 days before a General or Primary election.
You may apply to register to vote online, or view and edit your current voter registration information.
- Go to the Virginia State Board of Elections website, https://www.vote.virginia.gov
- Follow the instructions for completing the registration application online.
Apply By Mail
> Virginia Voter Registration Application
The above link is to a fillable form you can complete on your computer. If you are not able to access this application, please call 703-746-4050 and ask for a voter registration application.
- Complete the fillable Voter Registration Application on your computer.
- Print the application, and sign it.
- Mail to:
Office of Voter Registration and Elections
132 North Royal, Suite 100
Alexandria, VA. 22314
Apply in Person
To submit a voter registration application in person, stop by one of the following sites:
Office of Voter Registration
132 North Royal Street, Suite 100
City Hall, Citizen Assistance
301 King Street, Room 1900
Monday through Friday 8 am - 5 pm
Division of Motor Vehicles
2681 Mill Road
You are eligible to register to vote if you:
- Are a citizen of the United States
- Are a legal resident of Virginia
- Will be 18 years of age by the next general election
- Have had your rights restored if:
- previously convicted of a felony, or
- judged by a Circuit Court to be mentally incompetent
Information You Need to Register
You must give the following information under oath:
- full legal name
- current residence address
- date and place of birth
- Social Security number
- place of previous registration
If continuing illness or disability prevent you from coming to a registration site, you may request a mail-in application or arrange to have a registrar come to your home by calling the Office of Voter Registration, 703-746-4050.
You do not register by party in Virginia. All but local candidates are identified by party on ballots.
Name or Address Change
To change your name or address, you can use the form on the back of your Virginia Voter I.D. card. Once you complete this form, send it to the Alexandria Voter Registration Office by mail or fax (703-838.6449).
You may also change your name or address using the Virginia Voter Registration Application or online at the Virginia State Board of Elections website, https://www.vote.virginia.gov.
You may disqualify yourself from voting if you move within Virginia and do not notify the Registrar of your new address.
Military and Overseas Voters
For information on special mail registration and voting for military personnel, citizens employed overseas and their families, please see our absentee voting page or call the Office of Voter Registration, 703-746-4050.
Canceling Your Voter Registration
To cancel your voter registration, please return a signed copy of the Request to Cancel Voter Registration to the Alexandria Voter Registration Office. You may send it by mail or fax (703-838-6449).
Who May Vote
Any person who is registered and lives within the precinct in which he/she is registered.
Where to Vote
Your voter registration card tells you your precinct and polling place. For a replacement card, call the Office of Voter Registration, 703-746-4050. A new card will be mailed to you.
Virginia Law requires each voter to present identification before casting the ballot. Acceptable forms of ID currently include:
- Virginia Voter Registration Card
- Valid Virginia driver's license
- Any Federal, Virginia state or local government-issued ID
- Employer issued photo ID card
- Concealed handgun permit
- Valid student ID issued by any institution of higher education located in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Current utility bill, bank statement, government check or paycheck indicating the name and address of the voter
For a complete list, please see the State Board of Elections website.