Maintenance Code Division
The Maintenance Code Division assist in maintaining a safe, healthy and livable quality of life by maintaining the City’s housing stock through the administration of the Virginia Maintenance Code and local ordinances. These regulations and ordinances regulate structural soundness, minimum facilities, building maintenance, heating and cooling requirements, life safety, trash and debris, inoperable vehicles, tall grass and weeds, rodents, insect infestation and structural deficiencies. Inspections are conducted by staff throughout the City on a pro-active and complaint basis. Refer to the Nuisance Complaint Matrix for city departments responsible for specific type of complaints.
- Address: 301 King Street, Room 4200; Alexandria, VA 22314 (Alexandria City Hall, 4th floor)
- Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. (except holidays).
- Contact Us: 703.746.4200
- To file a complaint:
- Call 703.746.4200;
- Email the Permit Center; or
- Through the Contact Us service provided by the City of Alexandria
24-Hour Nuisance Abatement Hotline: 703.836.0041 (Report nuisance concerns, such as illegal dumping, hoarding, overcrowding, rodent problems, and fire safety violations.)
The Maintenance Code Division Programs
- Alexandria Hoarding Program: This program is staffed by a multi-agency team of employees who inspect alleged hoarding conditions to identify fire and life safety issues, and resolve them.
- Vacant Building Registration Program: This program tracks structures that have been unoccupied for a period in excess of a year that are not in violation of Code. Data is collected about the property owners and vacant properties must meet minimum exterior structural standards to avoid nuisance issues. Staff conducts inspections throughout the year to ensure that the buildings are maintained in a safe condition.
Residential Rental Inspection Program: The Maintenance Code Team conducts annull inspections of rental properties. The inspection identifies possible violations of the Virginia Maintenance Code and the Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code regarding exterior and interior conditions of rental structures. The goal of the program is to ensure that property managers maintain rental units to the minimum standards of Code as defined in the Virginia Maintenance Code and the Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code.
Unfit Property Program: The Maintenance Code Team tracks properties that have been declared unfit for human habitation. These properties are monitored for progress in correcting cited conditions to return the housing stock to the minimum standards established by Code.
Virginia Maintenance Code enforcement: The Maintenance Code Team enforces the Virginia Maintenance Code which provides minimum standards that all buildings and structures are to be maintained to.
Alexandria City Code Nuisance Provisions: The Maintenance Code Team, in conjunction with the Department of Transportation and Environmental Service, Planning and Zoning, Alexandria Police Department,Alexandria Health Department, and Alexandria Fire Department - Fire Prevention and Life Safety Section enforce various provisions of the Code of the City of Alexandria relating to general nuisances. These can be reported to the Department of Code Administration at 703.746.4200, or by Email to the Permit Center; or through the Contact Us service provided on the Alexandria main web page.
Improper waste disposal requirements
Solid waste collection requirements
Solid waste containers requirements
Solid waste collection requirements; solid oast continued; violations ; penalties
Private solid waste removal requirements
Waste disposal and illegal dumping
Inoperable motor vehicles on private property
Tall Grass and Weeds
Rental Inspection Program
Vacant Building Registration
- Bed Bug Information
- The Virginia Landlord and Tenant Act is not enforced by Code Administration. However, click here for information about this important Virginia law.
Virginia Maintenance Code Appeals