- 2011 National Electrical Code Update Training- FREE- Everyone is invited to attend, please R.S.V.P. by October 24.
- NEW! The 2012 Virginia Uniform Statewide
Construction Code (USBC) is effective July 14, 2014. Applicants may
choose to utilize the 2009 USBC for a one-year period after the effective date. Additional information can be found at:
NEW! Standing Modification - Minimum Thickness of Galvanized Duct Walls for Single Family Dwellings
- Small Business & Residential Project Facilitation Office is now open to serve you!
- NEW! Gas Permit Policy for Residential Additions & Alterations - Code Administration conducted a survey of the surrounding jurisdictions’ plan review requirements for residential fuel gas permits. The results found that a majority of localities did not require a fuel gas riser diagram prior to permit issuance for residential gas pressures less than 2 psi. Therefore, to stay consistent across local boundaries, the City of Alexandria will no longer require 1 & 2 family dwelling building (single family, townhomes and duplexes) applicants to submit a residential gas riser diagram for additions and alterations to an existing residential fuel gas system with gas pressure less than 2 psi.
NOTICE: Code Administration’s fire protection systems (FPS) walk-thru services are now available on a scheduled basis. Please contact Adrian Mirt - firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.4198 - to schedule an appointment.
- Tell us how we are doing! As we make improvements to assist our customers with the permitting process, your feedback is important to us. Please fill out our Customer Service Survey and let us know what we can do to improve the permitting experience.
About the Department
Welcome to the Alexandria Department of Code Administration, where we work work in concert with other City agencies and our customers (residents, tenants, business owners, building owners, architects, engineers, builders, tradesmen, contractors, and developers) as part of the safe building team. Our objective is to assist customers with compliance related to Virginia’s Uniform Statewide Building and Maintenance Codes (USBC), and the City Code nuisance and development provisions. This is accomplished through permit processing, plan review; timely and consistent inspections, and education regarding the requirements of the referenced codes. The department contains the five divisions of Permit Center, Property Maintenance Inspections, New Construction Inspections, Plan Review Services, and Administrative Services. Learn about our our values, commitment and goals - ONE TEAM, ONE CITY - OUR CITY