Alexandria Police Department and Department of Emergency Communications to Host Dedication Ceremony for New Headquarters
The Alexandria Police Department and Department of Emergency Communications (DEC) invite the public to the dedication ceremony of their new headquarters building at 3600 Wheeler Avenue, on Wednesday, November 9, at 10 a.m.
The new headquarters is a 124,000 square foot four-story building, built to house 441 Police employees and 55 DEC employees. The third floor houses DEC and its state-of-the-art facility, a combined police/fire emergency communications center with a new 9-1-1 emergency system. The adjacent parking garage is designed to provide secure parking for 500 vehicles, including police vehicles and special command vehicles.
The total project cost, including site preparation, construction, furnishings, equipment, and information technology and software for the Police Department and DEC was $81 million.
The move to a new headquarters marks a new chapter in the history of the Alexandria Police Department. The first police station was located on North Fairfax Street in present-day City Hall. In 1959, the Police Department moved to 400 North Pitt Street. In 1987, the Police Department had outgrown its headquarters and moved to a new building, the Public Safety Center on Mill Road. Joining the Police Department is the Department of Emergency Communications, which was established in 2011 with the consolidation of the emergency communications functions of the Police and Fire Departments into a single department.
For additional information, contact the Alexandria Police Department Public Information Office at 703.746.6600.
The City of Alexandria is committed to compliance with the City’s Human Rights Code and the Americans with Disabilities Act. To request a reasonable accommodation or to request materials in an alternative format, please call Ashley Hildebrandt, Public Information Officer, Alexandria Police Department at 703.746.6600 (TTY 703.838.4902).