Volunteering with Historic Alexandria Museums
Hundreds of volunteers provide their time, skills and expertise each year to assist in many areas of work within the Office of Historic Alexandria and its museums and historic sites. Study artifacts, conduct museum tours, use your computer skills, tabulate research findings – these are only a few of the dozens of ways to contribute your time, talents and energy.
Select a Museum
Learn about volunteer opportunities at City of Alexandria museums and programs, and fill out an on-line volunteer application for the museum where you would like to work.
The following museums are not operated by the City of Alexandria but do use volunteers. Contact these museums directly or check with
Select an Activity
Would you like to:
- Work on an archaeological site? An orientation is usually scheduled for late spring. Check with
- Conduct guided tours? Try
The Lyceum or the
Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum
- Greet visitors and help them enjoy Alexandria more? Opportunities may be available at
Fort Ward or
- Work with our museum collections? Opportunities may be available at
The Lyceum or the
Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum.
- Help with research? Contact
- Work with school children, or other special tour groups? Any of the museums may be able to use your help.
- Assist with Special Events?
Gadsby's Tavern, or the
Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary may need your help.
- Conduct Oral History interviews or prepare transcriptions? Contact
- Write State, Federal or local grants to help support our museums? Experience required – please contact
The Lyceum or
Not all sites or volunteer positions have space available, but museum staff will contact you in response to your application.
Other Ways to Support Historic Alexandria
Whether or not you volunteer, there are other ways to support history in Alexandria.