Volunteer with Historic Alexandria Museums
Looking for a creative outlet or a way to offer your services to the community? Hundreds of volunteers provide their time, skills and expertise each year to assist in many areas of work within the Office of Historic Alexandria and its museums and historic sites. Study artifacts, conduct museum tours, use your computer skills, tabulate research findings – these are only a few of the dozens of ways to contribute your time, talents and energy. Volunteers are asked to donate a minimum number of hours per month and in return they receive training, newsletters, invitations to social functions, lectures, study trips, and other benefits.
Select a Museum
Learn about volunteer opportunities at City of Alexandria museums and programs, and fill out an on-line volunteer application for the museum where you would like to work.
Other Alexandria Museums that are not operated by the City of Alexandria also use volunteers, but do not use our application form. Contact these museums directly, or check with Volunteer Alexandria.
Would you like to…
- Work on an archaeological site? An orientation is usually scheduled for late spring. Check with Archaeology.
- Conduct guided tours? Try Black History, Gadsby's Tavern, The Lyceum or the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum
- Greet visitors and help them enjoy Alexandria more? Opportunities may be available at Black History, Fort Ward or The Lyceum.
- Work with our museum collections? Opportunities may be available at Archives, Black History, The Lyceum or the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum.
- Help with research? Contact Archaeology.
- Work with school children, or other special tour groups? Any of the museums may be able to use your help.
- Assist with Special Events? Archaeology, Black History, Gadsby's Tavern, or the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary may need your help.
- Conduct Oral History interviews or prepare transcriptions? Contact Archaeology.
- Write State, Federal or local grants to help support our museums? Experience required – please contact The Lyceum or OHA Administration.
Not all sites or volunteer positions have space available, but museum staff will contact you in response to your application.
Other Ways to Support Historic Alexandria
Whether or not you volunteer, there are other ways to support history in Alexandria.