City of Alexandria Announces Schedule of Services for George Washington's Birthday on Monday, February 15
Please note the following important announcement about refuse and recycling collection during the holiday week: Due to the winter weather that canceled collections from February 8 - 11, there will be no “holiday slide” pushing collections back one day during the week of February 15 - 18. Residential trash and recycling will be collected on a regular schedule Monday through Thursday. The Household Hazardous Waste and Electronics Recycling Center will be closed.
All Alexandria City government offices will be closed on Monday, February 15 in observance of George Washington’s Birthday (also known as Presidents Day).
- Health Facilities: The Alexandria Health Department (4480 King St.), the Flora Krause Casey Health Center (1200 N. Howard St.) and the Adolescent Health Center (3701 W. Braddock Rd.) will be closed, and no H1N1 vaccinations will be offered.
- Hotlines: All emergency hotlines operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including the child protective services hotline, 703.746.5800, the domestic violence hotline, 703.838.4911, the emergency services for mental health or substance abuse crisis hotline, 703.746.3401, and the sexual assault hotline, 703.683.7273.
- Libraries: All Alexandria Library branches will be closed.
- Parking: The Alexandria Police Department will suspend enforcement of parking restrictions at metered spaces, as well as time restrictions in residential permit parking districts and other areas with signed parking time limits.
- Schools: The Alexandria City Public Schools will be closed.
- Special Events: Due to the snow emergency over the past week, the George Washington Birthday Celebration Committee cancelled all major outdoor events scheduled for February 13-15. The cancellations include the George Washington Birthday Parade, “George Washington Classic” 10-K Race and several other related events. Visit www.washingtonbirthday.net for more information.
- State Offices: The General District Court, the Circuit Court, and the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court will all be closed. In addition, the DMV Office at 2681 Mill Rd. will be closed.
- Transit: Alexandria Transit Company’s DASH bus service will operate on a Saturday schedule. Rosslyn Metrorail station on the Blue and Orange Lines will be closed and the Arlington Cemetery Metrorail station on the Blue Line will also be closed from 10 p.m., Friday, February 12 to closing, Monday, February 15, while Metro undertakes a major track rehabilitation project. Normal service will resume on Tuesday, February 16, at 5 a.m.