September 14, 2009
- Virginia 2009 gubernatorial election will be held November 3; a turnout of approximately 35,000 voters is anticipated
- Absentee voting opens to eligible voters on Friday, September 18
- Eligible residents with special needs, those who are caregivers, or residents with long commutes may consider voting by absentee.
City Election Officials anticipate a turnout of approximately 35,000 voters for the November 3, 2009 gubernatorial election. Alexandria election officials and City departments are doing their part to prepare, but lines of voters may be long especially during morning and evening rush hours. Voting at the polls may be difficult for people with special needs, caregivers of family members who are ill, and residents who commute outside the city.
Absentee voting opens to eligible voters on Friday, September 18. The City’s Office of Voter Registration and Elections advises residents in these circumstances to consider voting by absentee ballot. Many Alexandria voters are eligible, but relatively few take advantage of this option. There are several qualifying circumstances. For example:
- You commute and work for 11 of the 13 hours the polls are open. (Take into account those days when traffic is heavy or the weather is bad and it takes longer than usual to get to and from work.)
- You are a caregiver for a confined family member.
- You are unable to go to the polls in person on Election Day because of an illness or disability.
- You will be absent from Alexandria on Election Day because of work, school, or vacation.
To learn more about these, and other circumstances in which absentee voting is an appropriate option, visit www.alexandriavoter.org and click on “Absentee Voting,” or call 703.746.4050.
You may cast your absentee vote in person at the Alexandria Voter Registration Office, 132 North Royal St., or by mail. In-person absentee voting hours are Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Voting hours will be extended to 7:30 p.m. on the following weekdays: October 6, 19, 20, 21, 26, 27, and 28. The office will also be open for absentee voting on Saturdays, October 3, 24, and 31 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The deadline for voting absentee in person is Saturday, October 31, at 5:00 p.m.
If you wish to absentee vote by mail, download an application from www.alexandriavoter.org, or contact the Voter Registration Office to get an application mailed to you. The last day to apply for an absentee ballot by mail or fax is Tuesday, Oct. 27. The application must be received by the Registration Office at 5:00 p.m. on that day. Mailed absentee ballots must be received by the Registration Office on or before November 3, at 7:00 p.m. ____________________________________________________________________________
For more information, call theOffice of Voter Registration and Elections at 703.746.4050.